Sunday, January 6, 2008

i'm-a-big-kid-now... sorta kinda

now that i've started working i've been eating out more often then i would like. it's to a point where i'm craving salads for lunch.

i'm definitely more conscience about what i eat. i'm even starting to look at the nutrition facts labels. i can't decipher what the numbers are trying to tell me but at least i get an idea of what's going in my body.

i guess it's growing up, or maybe it's the feeling anyone would get from being stationary 8 hours out of a day.

now i'm not buying into all that fat free, less fat, X% fat free stuff. it's all in the wording anyway. and i'm staying away from the cancer causing sugar free/sugar substitute/artificial sweetener stuff. plus the taste really bothers me, i don't care what the ads say i can still taste the difference.

so what's for lunch tomorrow?

1 sandwich with white bread (yeah, should have gone with wheat)
1 salad with organic vinaigrette dressing.
1 orange

i've been thinking and companies are probably marketing organic products because of the whole eating healthy fad, like how all these car companies have new lines of hybrid cars, even ford. but is it really organic? it's probably a technicality or all in the wording but it brings peace of mind.

plus i'm glad to live in a society/environment's where health is a concern. i'm theorizing it's only limited to marjor metropolitan areas. i may be too green/naive/stereotyping but i can't picture a big texain passing up a steak or bbq for a salad and chosing jogging over driving a truck with a gun rack. i'm sure companies don't market the same products they do here over in middle-america, and fast food chains don't offer the same "healthier" alternatives.

i should move on with the blog... its getting lengthier than i want my blogs to be and i'm taking on too many issues.

so i'll probably be drinking green tea throughout the day. i'm trying to stay away from coffee. black is fine i guess but i can't drink coffee straight up. now if only i can stay away from the redbull.

one might see my lunch as a sad meal, but it sure beats oily pizza with a soda on the side... a soda on the side.
so at least for tomorrow i'm eating sorta kinda eating healthy. no promises for the day after that.

2 comments:

kelly said...

I hope you didn't put the dressing on the salad and let it sit... or else it'll be soggy!!! Ooh, and if you peel the orange beforehand, it will start to dry up... just an fyi. kudos on packing your own lunch! I need to start doing that. :)

Anonymous said...

I JUST realized that I can comment on your blog. *hand meets forehead*

ANYWAY! In regards to eating healthy/organic/BS like that...there's actually a list of the top 12 foods that you should consider going organic with. I think it's called 'The Dirty Dozen' (creative, aren't they?) or something to that effect.

If my memory serves me alright, strawberries, apples, and celery are among the top fruits/veggies that are most contaminated by pesticides.

Yuckers. The organic stuff is damn expensive, but I think they have a tendency to taste better too. I remember eating some organic apples sometime late last year and I swear...I ate like 5 in the course of 3 hours. Weeee~